10 Things I Love About Myself
I don’t know about you, but for me, it’s always been very easy to fall through a downward spiral of self-doubt. It was a hair-sensitive trigger, activated by something as big as rejection to something as small as my mom’s criticism. These simple, everyday things had the ability to send me down into a pit of despair because it made me question what I really deserved out of life, whether I was good enough, or if I really even mattered.
NO ONE should EVER feel like that. It’s an awful feeling to have, and the worse mindset to be in. I’ve gotten better about staying away from that place, but that doesn’t mean that I don’t fall back there from time to time.
How Do I Deal With It?
I use a second to close my eyes and take a breath. After that second, I start to list things, things that I love about myself or things that I feel add value to who I am. It can be hard, but I’ve started to set out little milestones, so it’s best to start small, with maybe two or three, and then work your way up from there. When I recite this list aloud (or whisper it to myself), it gives me a second to calm down and reign in my emotions. This action also serves to remind me that there are some good reasons to love myself and that I have something to offer to the world.
At least, that’s how it works for me. I thought that, for this blog post, I could share ten things that I tell myself when I feel like the world is crashing down on me. It can be hard sometimes, but one step at time will get you to where you need to be eventually.
- My ability to find the best in people. I don’t know why, but it’s always been easier for me to pick out positive attributes in other people than when I try to find them in myself. It’s a blessing and a curse, because while I can easily build someone up, I can also easily be taken advantage of if I’m not careful.
- I’m a passionate person. I love passion, and I love talking passion. It is my belief that having an emotional investment makes everything better. I care more, so I work harder.
- My wonderful sense of adventure. The world is such a big place, and I want to see as much of it as I can. I want to grow and learn from every place I visit in anyway that I can, from the culture, to trying the food, and especially by meeting diverse people.
- I can always find something beautiful in the world. I think that this goes back to number one, but life is so beautiful and it’s everywhere. It’s so easy to get caught up in school and work and other aspects of life, but I think that by realizing the beauty of every situation, there’s more appreciation for every moment.
- I have wonderful relationships with precious people. I feel like I am one of the luckiest people in the world because life has given me some wonderful people to interact with. I have people who make me laugh, people who challenge me, people who build me up and are willing to talk life with me, just all these amazing people. I really love them, and I believe that they love me, and it’s a mutual feeling to just want what’s best for the other.
- I know who I am and what I want. In my mind, this is always changing, just because I am always learning and evolving as a person, but that’s life. It’s normal for me to know in the moment though, and the thing that will never change is my desire for happiness and for a life of no regrets.
- My ability to embrace my inner child. Everyone wants to grow up too fast, always ready to see what tomorrow will bring. It’s important to remember that each moment is a gift, and that’s why it’s called the present. I laugh uncontrollably, never regret or say no to ice cream, and my heart is always on my sleeve. Maybe it’s because I’m always around younger girls, or maybe it’s because I grew up too fast, but either way, I adore my inner child.
- My ambition. This is something about myself that I love to hate. I believe that if my dreams don’t scare me, they aren’t big enough. So I dream really big, and try to accomplish my dreams by working really hard. I want so much out of life that in trying to do it all, I sometimes get stretched thin and forget to take care of myself.
- I’m always looking to be better than I am. Life is about growing and learning and becoming the best version of yourself that you can be. Sure, I’m a good person, but I could be better, and I am definitely not the best that I am ever going to be.
- I’ve gotten this far in my life, and I still have so far to go. I’m a baby, but for a baby, I feel like I’ve accomplished a fair amount. A few highlights would be graduating high school summa cum laude, having the opportunity to attend a writing residency, as well as being an intern for a Fortune 500 company, and I’m only nineteen. It blows my mind, and that’s only the tip of the iceberg, because there’s so much life left in me. I’m excited for the present, and all the presents to come.
So these are the ten things that I try to remind myself every time that’s a crushing weight on my chest that makes me question my value to the world. Some people might roll their eyes because it’s not a practical approach, but in my case, it works.
Remember that it is important to realize how wonderful a person you are and love yourself. It can be hard, but the things worth having in life don’t come easy.
Share with me down below. What is something you love about yourself? What makes you question yourself? What are you passionate about?
XOXO Love Always,